Saturday, July 26, 2014
Center for the Arts Black Box theatre and Lawn
6 p.m. – $10 includes film and Hummus War tasting
Film PG 13 – young children welcome to the Hummus war at 7:30 p.m.
Jackson Hole, WY – “When you eat together, you can’t betray each other.” — cultural anthropologist, Claudia Roden.
Hummus enthusiasts and lovers here is an incredible food and culture event just for you!
On Saturday, July 26, the Jackson Hole Jewish Community Center and Wyoming Humanities Council are teaming up to present a film and food event, Make Hummus, Not War: Food, Politics and Culture
The evening begins with the screening of Trevor Graham’s witty yet politically raw documentary, Make Hummus, Not War. Graham goes in search of the origins of our favorite dip and documents food, politics and culture of the Levant (Israel, Lebanon and Palestine) and who claims the right to inventing, yep, you got it, hummus.
Watch the trailer for “Make Hummus, Not War” HERE
As you leave the screening, grab your ballots and enter the first ever Jackson Hole Hummus War in the adjoining tent were both professional chefs and home cooks will battle it out for the best hummus in the Tetons. Winning hummus chefs can win money, prizes or both from guest judges and the hummus-hungry public. Guest judges to be announced.
While you’re enjoying a glass of wine and tasting the best hummus in Jackson Hole, listen to a special talk-back on food culture sponsored by the Wyoming Council for the Humanities.
Wine, drinks and other nosh available thorough out the whole evening.
CALL FOR HUMMUS CHEFS
Professional Chefs Category
• Eligible chefs must be affiliated with a local restaurant, bar or licensed caterer. You may also verify you are a personal chef.
• Must produce between a half gallon to one gallon of hummus for the event and delivered to the venue by 6 p.m.(265 S. Cache, Center for the Arts back lawn tent), the evening of the event. You’re welcome to stay with your hummus, but not required to.
• Prize will be a beautiful plaque engraved stating your are the winner of the Professional Chef division of the Jackson Hole Hummus War with your name or business to hang in your restaurant. Cash and/or prizes may also be awarded. There will be a honorable mention prize in this division.
• To enter the Professional Division of the JH Hummus War please email firstname.lastname@example.org and state that you’re entering the Professional Chef Division. There is no cost to enter. Pita chips and small serving cups will be supplied by the sponsor.
Home Cooks Division
• Must NOT be affiliated with a restaurant, bar or caterer.
• Must produce a half gallon to one gallon of hummus delivered to the venue by 6 p.m. (265 S. Cache, Center for the Arts back lawn tent) the evening of the event. We’re requiring the home cooks stay with their hummus during the tasting.
• There will be a grand prize, second place and third place for the Home Cooks Division. Prizes will be announced later.
• Cooks under 16 must have their parent’s signature to enter and verification that they were supervised by an adult while making the hummus.
• If you would like to enter the Home Cooks Division of the JH Hummus War please email email@example.com and state that you’re entering the Home Cooks Division. There is no cost to enter. Pita chips and small serving cups will be supplied by the sponsor.
No Holds Barred Division
• As long as it is a dip and has chickpeas in it: chocolate hummus anyone?